Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Swahili is Fun

I thought that since I'm learning so much Swahili, I'd teach you a few good, useful words.  Ok, so most of what follows is not so useful on a regular basis, but they are super good words.  

shagalabagala --- disorganized or messy
mshamba --- redneck (literally--person from a farm)
nusa nusa --- a spy (nusa literally means "to smell or sniff")
mwana siasa --- a politician (literally -- a person who is not genuine)
pi pi --- candy
piga mswaki --- to brush your teeth (literally -- to hit the toothbrush)
taco -- your bum

And here is my story about that word.  Our teachers have spent a lot of time with Westerners, for obvious reasons, thus they know a lot about our culture.  One day, teacher Saye was talking about cooking.  He said that he's a very good cook and he can cook everything except the taco.  I said, "Really? I can teach you how to make a taco. " He said, "Oh, you know how to make a taco?  Do you like to eat the taco?"  I said, "Of course, they're delicious!"  This is when he burst out laughing and told us what taco meant in Swahili.  Oh that jokester.  

I've been asked to post a picture of my tummy, so here it is--me, at 18 and 1/2 weeks.

And now, since that was so very disappointing ( I really have no idea where it's hiding), here is a picture of Brett's beard growth, which we will also call 18 weeks-ish, and is much more impressive.  He intends to grow this thing until the baby's born. I think he might scare it back into me.

Please try to use your new words at least three times today, or you might forget them.

5 comments:

  1. Has Brett named his Beard yet? Maybe Brutus... Brutus the Beard. He might take a cue from Chuck Norris and hide another fist behind it. Just a thought. Or maybe, instead of a fist, another open hand... since you guys are generally of the non-violent sort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe that you are pregnant. I think you are faking. Is that baby wrapped around your spine?

    And Brett looks like Sasquatch. :)

    Daisha

    ReplyDelete
  3. You crack me up. So do you pronounce candy as "pee pee" or more like "pie pie"? I would have a hard time saying I was craving some pee pee...but then it might be kind of fun to say too. Like saying I could really go for a taco right now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have enjoyed reading your blog tonight. I know Bret from Auburn, I dated one of his friends and I have met your parents at Ruth Scoby's parents' house. Ruth and my husband are cousins. Andrew and I got back from Africa about 3 weeks ago. We went to see his sister Julie who has been working with a team in Mbale, Uganda. We got to meet the Glisson's that trip too. Africa is a beautiful place and we can't wait to come back and visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that Brett's beard makes him look shagalabagala. :)

    ReplyDelete