Saturday, February 6, 2010

Mosquito Massacre

In most places I have stayed since moving to Tanzania, there have not been an abundance of mosquitoes.  We get the occasional bite, but nothing too annoying.  Of course you are aware that malaria comes from mosquitoes.  But what you might not know is that the only mosquitoes which carry malaria are nocturnal.  Hence the reason it's important to sleep under nets, but not so much to carry on your daily errands in a net bubble.  We aren't overly concerned with getting malaria; it's not as easy to contract as you might think.  And unless you get the really bad kind, which is rare, it's a lot like having the flu.  Get the right medicine and you're fine after a few days.  We are however, much more concerned about Baylor getting it, as she's so little and can't fight it like we can. So she pretty much stays under a net from dusk til dawn unless one of us is holding her and defending her from any possible biters.

To get on with my story--we are currently staying in Carson and Holly McNeal's house while they are in the States to have their baby until our house is finished.  The other day Brett went into our bedroom at about 7:30 at night and discovered a bazillion mosquitoes buzzing about. Upon investigating, he discovered one of the screens on the windows had popped open in the wind.  Fortunately, the McNeals have netting draped in their doorways, so the critters were basically contained to our room.  The weapon of choice here to kill mosquitoes is a small electric tennis racket.  You just swat at the things as if it were a ball and zap! no more mosquito.  Brett and I took turns in the bedroom with the racket, and after 3 hours or so, we'd killed 70 or 80 mosquitoes and considered our task complete--at least enough to sleep there.  We did decide, however, to put Baylor under her net in her little pop-up bed in our bed under our net, so she'd have double protection.   It looks as if we have been victorious, because none of us seem to have a lot of bites and the mosquito population in the house is virtually non-existent.  We give thanks for the inventor of the electric tennis racket.

6 comments:

  1. I'm sure after 3 hours, the electric tennis racket became exhausting but the image on this end is pretty hilarious!

    I would have killed for one of those the first two nights I was in Benin (5.5 years ago). I know the swarming you're talking about, but there were no nets on the windows or nets over the bed. It was easily the most miserable two nights of my life while every exposed part of my body was eaten alive by mosquitoes while I slept. I am thankful for your electric tennis racket and nets so that you do not have to experience that. And I love the you double netted Baylor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... and apparently I need to change my Google profile picture since it's about 3 years old and Levi is now almost the age that Caleb was in this picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm so sorry! those tennis rackets are great fun, but maybe not if you have that many mosquitos to kill!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would just like to publicly thank Kevin Linderman for taking me to the Hindu Union hospital in Mwanza to get my malaria treatment. Treatment in Tanzania in the VIP room: $40. Follow up test in USA: hundreds. Love you both!

    ReplyDelete