Wednesday, September 1, 2010

English Class

I never intended to teach English here in Geita.  With all the other pressing needs to meet, in addition to sharing the Good News, it just never crossed my mind that I would spend my time doing something that, to me, seemed unimportant.  When we moved here last September I would ask people in town what they felt were their greatest needs and about four times out of five the first answer was better access to water and the second was to learn English.  Better access to water is a huge problem to tackle and would like to help with it, but know it could take years.  Teaching English, though, now that is something I can do.

The ability to speak English here is the chance for a better life.  It would be difficult to be admitted to high school here without English and there's no chance of going to college without it.  By learning English you can work in the tourism industry, one of Tanzania's largest industries.  Speaking English makes you marketable.  It gives you an edge against other applicants.  Education and jobs are scarce here, so anything you can do to improve your chances is another step closer to ensuring you can provide a home, food and education for your family.

So about 4 months ago, I started my first English class.  I have 8 students, all adults, who come faithfully every week (though maybe a little bit late), do their homework and practice speaking with each other throughout the week since there are so few other English speakers to try their new vocabulary out on.  We have no books, and on occasion I have had to resort to writing on an old box because there wasn't any paper and once in the dirt outside because we had a problem getting in the classroom.  No one seems to mind that much.  Instead of giving them a worksheet, I write their practice sentences on the board and they copy them down in their notebooks.  Markers here have short lives.  I go through about 3 per class.   People have been asking when I'm going to open another class.  I'm hoping to do that later this fall.  We're looking for a better classroom situation.  I enjoy teaching the class; it's a lot of fun.  Sometimes you just never know what you'll end up doing.

4 comments:

  1. I think it is great that you are doing that. Especially since they placed the need right under access to water! I'm sure your students are enjoying the class and learning a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hai, I am Shalet Jimmy and I am from India. I too work as an English trainer.I belong to Kerala, a state that is situated in the southern tip of India. Here, what the problem is most of them can write and understand English, but can not speak the language. They have their own inhibitions. They are too conscious of what other people would think if they use the wrong words or phrases.Hence they do not open their mouth. Yesterday, I had a hard time. I had to speak continuously for 3 hours, profusely sweating and my mouth going dry. Personality development is also included in the syllabus. So I am going to stick on to some activities which will make them relaxed.

    All the very best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You probably never thought that part of your work in China would prepare you for Africa. Papa God has a way of using everything we have learned when his calling gets us where he wants us to be. Some of the English teachers I know in China now use Proverbs a lot in their English classes as ways to bring spiritual insights into the discussions. Often there are similar Chinese sayings and the similarities/differences give the teachers some insights into the differences of the worldviews.

    Keep on keeping on! I pray Papa God gives you a better classroom situation soon.

    ReplyDelete