Monday, November 1, 2010

Halloween--Not So Scary In Tanzania

Never has Halloween passed by with so little fanfare as this year.  I saw not one costume, no candy, no orange and black decorations or clothing, no ghosts, goblins, or witches.  Only normal people going about their normal day as if there were no anticipation of jack-o-lanterns and kids hyped up on sugar.  Last year we happened to be in Mwanza for Halloween and there was at least a costume party for kids.  But in Geita, hamna (there wasn't anything).  

Not that I find Halloween to be the best holiday ever -- that would be my birthday ( and yes, I do consider it a holiday), but still, I loved dressing up as a kid and going trick or treating.  I also know that Baylor would have no idea what was going if I were to dress her up as a tiny ghost and take her from house to house to get candy that she would not be allowed to eat.  But still, I assume in the future it will make me a little sad that she won't get to experience that here.  Fortunately, we've decided that our furloughs will generally be in the fall, so at least some years she'll get to participate.  

So on Halloween we took our recovering from and still somewhat sick from a bad cold family to the gold mine for lunch and a short swim.  Not exactly typical of October 31st, but not too shabby either.  We put Baylor in her Halloween pajamas (which glow in the dark) for a photo shoot that she did not in the least enjoy to commemorate her first Halloween.    




No comments:

Post a Comment