Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Tandem Biking

There is a South African/British couple venturing across Africa on a tandem bicycle.  They left England eight months ago and have been through part of Europe, the Middle East and quite a lot of Africa.  Someone they met along their journey knew Calvin and they asked him if they could stay with them while traveling through Geita.  The Groens, being in America on furlough, referred them to the McNeals, and so last night we met them over there for dinner.

I'm not sure quite what I expected of people who are bicycling across Africa, but I assumed they would be hard core athletes who love nothing more in life than exercising on the open road.  I did not expect them to have Phds from Cambridge with plans to teach geology in Cape Town upon arrival.  They are just very smart people who love exercising on the open road.  While here they wanted to talk with some geologists at the gold mine so we introduced them to some people we knew there and as I type this post they are touring the mine and asking lots of intelligent questions.

Living in Tanzania I've found that I meet all kinds of people I never would have otherwise--there's never a dull moment.  Well, actually there a lots of dull moments, but those aren't very interesting to write about, are they?

If you'd like to read more about our cycling friends, their website is www.tandemafrica.com

No comments:

Post a Comment