Thursday, August 19, 2010

Rwanda


I realized the other day that I never put any pictures up from our Rwanda trip last month with Brett's friends from college.  Even though Rwanda is only a 3 hour drive from Geita, it looks and feels completely different.  Well, maybe not the restrooms at the border.


It now election time in Rwanda.  Paul Kagame is running again and even has an opponent. Kagame has done so many good things for his country I don't know why anyone wouldn't vote for him.  These billboards were all over the country.  I never saw one for the other guy.



We visited some genocide sites as well as the Genocide Museum and Memorial.  They're hard to look at, but important if you want to understand the people of Rwanda. 


We also stopped by the Mille Colline, made known worldwide by its place in the movie Hotel Rwanda.  A good movie, but even better is the documentary, Ghosts of Rwanda.  



My favorite part about visiting Kigali is the pizza.  An Italian guy moved there several years ago and opened a restaurant, Sole Luna, and it has fantastic pizza.  There are (I think) 89 choices of pizzas on the menu.  Our choices in Geita are limited to what I find in the market to put on the pizza I make, so needless to say, we enjoy it immensely.  


And in completely unrelated news, a bat flew into our house last night.  That is, inside our house, not that it ran into the walls.

2 comments:

  1. I am disappointed the bat didn't hodi first

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too. It was a very rude bat. Perhaps if he had hodied, he wouldn't have lost his life.

    ReplyDelete