Friday, November 2, 2012

Halloween in Geita

Baylor had so much fun at Halloween last year in the States that we decided to have a party here in Geita.  She still randomly talks about how she dressed up like a ladybug and got candy from people.  My mom gave us some Halloween napkins and pencils and stickers and some cute pumpkin shoes for Harper and my sister sent Baylor a fairy costume so we were well on our way to a fun day.

Brett and I found a black tablecloth and some fake dracula teeth while in Dar getting Harper's vaccinations and Baylor, my mom, and I made a lovely black and orange construction paper chain for decoration.

I went to town to buy pumpkins for the kids to carve and/or draw on with markers, and they were amused at the market that I would want 5 pumpkins that would stand up on their own.  We don't have the perfectly round bright orange variety you see in the states.  Ours range from green to yellow to beige to orange and we have solid, striped and speckled.  They are big, small, long, oval, round, square-ish and somewhat misshapen at times.  But still, I found some that would be suitable and we had fun.  Later I will make a pumpkin pie.

I wanted to bob for apples but it was kind of chilly yesterday and no one really likes getting wet anyway, so we tied the apples to a string and held them in the air.  You had to bite them without using your hands.  It's more challenging than it sounds.  Afterwards, we cut up our apples and dipped them in caramel, which I made by boiling sweetened condensed milk for four hours.





I believe I have a very similar picture of Baylor somewhere

Trick or treating for real is not an so much an option, as no one here has ever heard of it; so we (the adults) went to different rooms in the house and the kids came and knocked on the doors shouting "trick or treat" and were given a not too huge but satisfying, nonetheless, amount of candy.


I don't know if Baylor likes Easter or Halloween more.  Any day she gets candy is generally a good day.

2 comments:

  1. Love that you re-create American holidays for your girls. They'll always have great memories! Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy smokes. Harper is so big. I miss those beautiful girls.
    And I you and Brett too, of course!

    ReplyDelete