Wednesday, November 7, 2012


Last month my mom was able to come visit us in Geita for a couple weeks and meet Harper.  The girls loved having their GiGi here.  Harper was cuddled to her heart's content and Baylor had about a library's worth of books read to her.  We spent a long day in the village, which my mom had done before, but she got to attend a town church this time as well, which was new.  I suppose it can only be so exciting when it's in a different language, though.  Mostly we just did our normal thing; hunting lions, riding camels, and swashing our way though unchartered jungle.  Mom's amazing on a camel.  

We decided to go on our annual family vacation to Zanzibar with my parents.  We flew to Stonetown and my dad met us there the next day.  Zanzibar is one of our favorite places.  It's unique.  The history is interesting, the architecture is beautiful, and the food is delicious.  Below is our family eating at House of Spices, which I highly recommend.  The food was fantastic.  I enjoyed a bacon and pineapple pizza while Brett got some kind of fish that was skewered and hung from that metal thing.  It was really great presentation.  I even got homemade cinnamon ice cream for dessert, which is one of my favorite flavors, and hard to find.  


Zanzibar is known as "Spice Island" due to the numerous spices they grow and sell.  Brett and I had been on a tour of a spice farm before and enjoyed it, so we took my parents this time.  They teach you about the different kinds of spices and fruits they grow and let you taste a lot of them. One guy sang and danced his way up a coconut tree. They also made these super cool hats for us.


We then made our way to the beach, one of the most beautiful places I've been to.  Baylor loves the beach.  She played all day every day in the sand and waves and most nights fell asleep at the dinner table.  Brett employed his art skills in making sand creatures.  This was his favorite -- a lizard.  Baylor and a few other little girls she befriended "helped."


No comments:

Post a Comment