Tuesday, November 10, 2009

In Dar

We've now been in Dar for a week and have settled in quite nicely for our short stay.  We're enjoying hanging out with friends and getting to know them better.  We've eaten pizza and last night even went to a movie, which was in an air conditioned theater.  The movie, Surrogates, wasn't so great, but I'll happily pay $5 to sit in the air conditioning for a couple hours.  

We've now been to the hospital 3 times, none of which has seemed particularly productive.  The first time we went, they showed us the delivery rooms and maternity wards, which was helpful, and told us we'd have to come back on Friday to pre-register because they only do that on Mondays and Fridays.  So, we went back on Friday and found out in order to pre-register and deliver there, we had to sign up and pay for 9 months of pre-natal care.  This was annoying to us as we've already had and paid for 9 months of pre-natal care elsewhere.  But even Brett couldn't convince them to change their demands, so we paid up.  Then they told me that none of my records from my other doctor were valid as they don't know her and that I would have to have all the tests and everything done again.  My American, Cornell educated doctor is not good enough? They said if I would just sit down and wait a few minutes they'd have me in to see the doctor. Three hours later and still sitting, Brett told them we were leaving, to which they responded "Oh, but she's next." Sure I was.  But they did bring me in and took blood and put my name on the top of a piece of paper and told me I could go.  No doctor present.  They then told me the doctor wasn't there and I should come back on Tuesday for an appointment with her.  So this morning we made our way back to the hospital, where they told us I needed to get my blood taken and have a checkup and maybe I'd see the doctor.  They seem to be really into have blood taken.  But we just insisted on seeing the doctor and not having other tests done and only 30 minutes later we got to see her.  She checked up a little on the baby and basically just told me it could be any day now, making sure I knew the signs of labor and where to go when I get to the hospital.  And then we left.  So I'm not thrilled with the way the pre-natal care part of the hospital is run, but the maternity ward itself seems well organized and everyone there has seemed very helpful and knowledgeable.  I'll just try to avoid the over-excited blood-takers. 

This afternoon I'm teaching a girl how to make pancakes.  She's a domestic worker and wants to broaden her resume, so I thought pancakes would be a pretty alright place to start.  She also often wears a Virginia Is For Lovers t-shirt, which makes me happy and reminds me of home. I'll let you know how it goes. 

4 comments:

  1. This whole hospital ordeal makes me laugh (which is easy since I'm on the outside, not the one having my blood drawn by leeches)! I heard similar sentiments of not trusting "the other" midwife in England. Unfortunately, these arguments came when I was in the middle of labor so I no ability to argue, even if I wanted to. Glad the actual maternity ward seems to have their act together, though! That's definitely comforting.

    Now I'm a bit confused, though. What made you choose to go to Dar if you had an American doctor that you trusted? Was it the lack of hospital facilities?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could always do like the Lindermans and give birth in your house in the bath tub!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm checking every day to see what progress is being made. If you didn't already have patience, you will by the time Baily gets here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We chose to go to Dar even though we have a great doctor in Mwanza because the hospital facilities and capabilities there are, shall we say, lacking? Maybe scary is a better word. And I'm just not as brave as Charity Linderman.

    ReplyDelete