Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving

Yesterday was my first Thanksgiving in 100-ish degree weather.  It definitely changes the atmosphere a bit.  It also makes cooking in the kitchen crazy hot.   Nonetheless, we enjoyed a nice quiet evening with our friends, Kate and Carley, here in Dar.  I offered to make the dinner mostly by myself because the others are teachers and don't get the day off--sad.  Plus I really like to cook.  So in order to make my life a little easier, I started cooking things on Tuesday, chopping and whatnot.  Then I made a little more on Wednesday and a little more on Thursday.  I realize that we only had four people eating, but who wants Thanksgiving without all the things to eat you grew up with?  So we had stuffing, green bean casserole, vegetable casserole, mashed potatoes, sister schubert rolls, roast chicken (turkeys are $65 here in Dar--what's that about?), pumpkin pie (Kate made very cute individual little pies), apple crisp, and molasses cookies.  We didn't really put a dent in the feast, but who doesn't enjoy Thanksgiving leftovers?  I was going to take a picture of us but the electricity went out and I couldn't find the camera in the dark.  Ah, Africa.  Hope you all enjoyed your holiday.

3 comments:

  1. I SO thought that you were going to post pictures of Baylor.

    But I'm glad you had a good thanksgiving.

    -Daisha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do take the camera when you go to the hospital! I am almost as anxious as you to SEE that girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so jealous of the veggie casserole. is it the kind with water chestnuts and celery? i thought about making it, but couldn't bring myself to without those ingredients. Red Rose was out! we are celebrating today in mwanza. i guess emily's pecan pie will have to suffice!

    ReplyDelete