Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Circumnavigating Lake Victoria Part 3 - Rwanda

For the final installment of our trilogy, you are privileged to hear about our exciting journey to Kigali, Rwanda. The most important finding in our trip to Kigali was the smoothie. Smoothie? you say. Just a smoothie? But perhaps you are unaware of the lack of smoothies and slurpies in Africa. I assure you the Very Berry Smoothie is invaluable.

I suppose we also gathered some other valuable information while there. Baguette sandwiches, for example. Also, we found a pediatrician for the Mwanza team, we found that there is not an allergist for the Mwanza team, and that there are plenty of hotels and guesthouses for them to stay in when they go to Kigali in August for a conference. We noted that things in Kigali are ridiculously expensive, except for t.v.s, which are the cheapest of anywhere in East Africa. I have no idea why this is the case.

Kigali is the closest really big city to Geita, so we'll use it to buy some needed things, like appliances and some hard to find groceries. It'll also be a place to get away for a weekend to relax at a pool or drive on paved roads. It's the only place with roads good enough for Brett to do his cycling. Currently, there are a lot of new missionaries in Kigali, some of whom I went to college with, so it's nice to have friends to visit and stay with. Most of them will only be there for a year or so, though, to learn language before heading off to smaller, less reached cities.

Our trip to Kigali was mostly a fact-finding trip, so we feel pretty successful. We now have lots of facts.

I hope you have enjoyed our journey around the Lake.

4 comments:

  1. I have enjoyed it immensely. :) Your updates and pictures are being appreciated over here in Huntsville, AL. :) Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The question on everyone's mind is where in the world Brett will get to wear his short, short running shorts? :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the trip around the lake. :) Brett in the bee suit is an image I shall cherish always. And your mask looked pretty darn good to me! (Of course, I remember your "clay toilet" artistic period. Ahh...those were the days.)

    And as a side note: I have found that blogger uploads my pictures in the opposite order that I choose them. So I have to choose the last picture first, and the first last. It's almost biblical, in a way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sadly, it seems that Brett's short shorts running days are behind him. golly, it is a sad day.

    ReplyDelete