Saturday, May 30, 2009

It's Official

It's official.  We are now residents of Tanzania.  We can now legally live and work here for the next 2 years, until we have to go get permission again.  This process started in January, so I would say has gone very quickly by African standards.  We only had one minor bump along the way, which was that we didn't have ordination papers from our church.  Trying to explain the structure of the Churches of Christ to a Tanzanian is not the easiest thing, but we finally got things worked out and now have a big stamp in our passports.

Also official, is that I am out of my first trimester of pregnancy.  So all the horribleness of early pregnancy should be going away mostly.  To celebrate this freedom of horribleness, i decided to...get food poisoning!  Yes, I celebrated by adding more horribleness.  And lest you think, ah, scary Africa food, i can tell assure the culprit was actually a chicken teriyaki sub from Subway in Dar Es Salaam.  We had to go to Dar to get our residence permits taken care of, and so, of course, we had to stop in at Subway.  Little did I know then how much I would regret this decision.  I think what makes me most sad about it is that Subway in Dar is the only American restaurant in all of East Africa.  There is not even a McDonalds in Nairobi.  McDonalds should really get on that; I mean, they're everywhere else in the world.  So now, my only American food experience for the next 10 years or so has been ruined.  Back to beans and rice.

2 comments:

  1. Love reading... you guys are in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just watched Super Size Me. Catherine had never seen it before. You're probably OK to never eat McDonald's, EVER! Get better Christie! Congrats on residency.

    ReplyDelete