Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Easter


As a child, I liked Easter because of candy.  I liked Easter because of egg painting and egg hunts.  I liked  Easter because spring break always surrounded it and I didn't have to go to school.  I liked Easter despite being forced to wear a new flowery dress to church.  And yet I find myself giving no candy to my daughter and making her wear a new flowery dress.  But this dress was handmade in Greece, a present from my sister, and it's so much prettier than the flowers on my dresses, so I just had to make her wear it.  Of course, in this stage of her life, Baylor wouldn't care if she went to church naked or in a gorilla costume.

I like Easter in Tanzania.  It is the most celebrated holiday of the year.  There are no bunnies or baskets, and while it's still somewhat like our Christmas in the States, commercialized and whatnot, it's still nice that everyone makes such a big deal about Jesus dying and being raised for us.  Even my muslim friends celebrate.  Families and friends get together, they cook big meals, and they spend a lot of time worshiping our great Lord and Savior.  The church next to our teammates house celebrated for 3 days straight ( Very loudly, I might add.  Microphones are only to be used on the highest setting in Tanzania.).  I loved Brett and I being able to share the story of Jesus with Baylor.  I loved getting together with our teammates for the whole weekend: playing games, cooking, eating, watching movies, sharing communion and worshiping together.  I just loved everything about it.  I hope next Easter will be much the same, except in addition, I hope to be able to share the story of Jesus with my muslim friends like I was able to share the story of Jesus with Baylor this year.


1 comment:

  1. Gotta love the Bumbo! She looks beautiful in her Easter dress.

    ReplyDelete