Monday, April 26, 2010

Meat Meat Meat

Living in Africa generally takes a bit more time than in the States.  Typically, I don't mind this, as the slower pace of life allows for it.  From making my own brown sugar to drying everything on the line to walking to the market -- I usually don't miss the little conveniences of life in America.  But I have found something I do miss: nice little wrapped in cellophane packages of already ground beef.  All you have do is go the store, pay for it, take it home and cook it.  So nice and clean.

It is not so much like that here.

I go to the local butcher here in town and while looking at large slabs of meat hanging from the ceiling in a hot room open to the outside, I place my order for 10kg (22 lbs) of beef fillet. We buy that much at a time because the process is messy and I don't particularly like to do it that often. We always get the fillet here because if we don't, we spend half our day on chewing.  So, the next day I pick up my 22lbs of cow in  black plastic grocery bags and take it home, where I hoist it up onto my kitchen counter and take out my knife.  The best chunks get separated out for slow roasting and the rest get cut into skinny strips and dropped into the meat grinding attachment to my kitchen aid mixer, where it plops out into a bowl all nicely ground.  I then pick up a handful that I think looks like a pound or so and drop it into a ziploc bag and stick it in the freezer, ready for use sometime down the road.  I then spend 20 minutes washing the cow off my hands and arms.  It takes about 2 hours once I get the meat on my counter to when it gets stuffed into the freezer.  All I have to say is, thank God for the kitchen aid mixer.

5 comments:

  1. That is awesome. I love that Christie. Give us more day to day life events. It probably seems boring to you, but that just made me appreciate Safeway, Kroger, and wally world so much more. You guys look and sound? like you're doing so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is obvious that the grinder and freezer allow you to put some time between how often you must do this operation. Most of us have little realization of how much time meal prep takes in most of the world! Thanks for sharing. I agree with DR, insights like this remind us we take many blessings for granted. We praise Papa for you being salt and light in Geita.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad I didnt have to help out w/ that while I was there...pasturing milk for 45 min was enough! Just hope your electricity stays on so all that meat doesnt ruin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree with David. I have been thinking about you guys and praying for you a lot over the last week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is amazing what we that for granted in US that is such a challenge in other places. Glad you took some conveniences with you.

    ReplyDelete